GOAL: Increase the number of people and organizations engaged in activities that are effective in preventing injury and ensuring the overall safety of Wake County children.
Regardless of whether an injury is intentional or unintentional, it has a ripple effect on a child’s health and well-being. When we prevent injuries from occurring, we protect children from temporary or permanent physical disability, prevent mental and emotional trauma, and ensure children can participate fully in life.
The John Rex Endowment believes preventing injuries and ensuring the overall safety of Wake County children can best be achieved if our county has a robust and diverse community of professionals and organizations committed to injury prevention and engaged in effective injury prevention activities. An early step to inform our work towards this goal is the report, A Profile of Wake County Childhood Injury and Injury Prevention. The report details organizations engaged in childhood injury prevention work, identifies key data and gaps on childhood injury, and outlines recommendations specific to injury prevention.
- Support more organizations to engage in prevention activities that are effective in preventing injuries and ensuring the overall safety of Wake County children.
- Identify existing injury prevention resources in Wake County.
- Use data on childhood injury in Wake County to build consensus across stakeholders on injury prevention priorities, and to improve coordination of injury prevention activities.
See Our Plan for Impact, 2013-2018 for detail on this goal and our strategies.
Current funding opportunities are announced through a Request for Proposal process. In 2017 we will continue to accept applications for new projects as well as those that build or expand on currently funded grants toward our Preventing Injury goal.
Peruse our Learning section where you will find information including:
- A Profile of Wake County Childhood Injury and Injury Prevention - a report of organizations engaged in childhood injury prevention work, key data and gaps on childhood injury, and recommendations specific to injury prevention.
- 2015 N.C. Suicide Prevention Plan: A Community Resource - a plan including concrete ways for families and communities to take action to prevent suicide and suicidal behaviors.
- Preventing Child Pedestrian Injuries and Fatalities in Wake County - a baseline assessment of child pedestrian crashes.
- Task Force on Essentials for Childhood: Safe, Stable, and Nurturing Relationships and Environments to Prevent Child Maltreatment - the statewide strategic plan for reducing child maltreatment and secure family well-being.